Believe it or not many of the foods we eat, as humans, turn out to be poisonous for our pets. How many of us are giving treats to our pets when we eat something, never knowing that the food may be poisonous to the family pet. Pets learn to become beggars very rapidly, and how can we resist those sad eyes looking at us. Before you give your pet what you are eating, you better acquaint yourself with some of the foods that are dangerous to feed to some pets, and even may be life threatening, especially if ingested in large volumes.
So some of the foods that we think are good for us are actually dangerous for our pets. Who would have thought that an avocado would be toxic to a pet? Doesn’t it contain all those good fatty acids? Actually we also need to consider that there are differences among our pet species. The avocado for example is especially dangerous to birds and pocket pets.
“Avocado – The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Birds and rodents are especially sensitive to avocado poisoning, and can develop congestion, difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation around the heart. Some ingestions may even be fatal.”
How about grapes and raisins? Man, those are really healthy for us. What not for my pet?
“Grapes & Raisins – Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure. In pets who already have certain health problems, signs may be more dramatic.”
Did you know that your pet could be poisoned with cyanide in certain foods? Yep, seeds in fruits actually contain cyanide. Plum and peach pits contain cyanide. If eaten by your pet, besides the possibility of causing a bowel obstruction, your pet could be poisoned with cyanide.
Candy (particularly chocolate—which is toxic to dogs, cats, and ferrets—and any candy containing the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
Coffee (grounds, beans, and chocolate-covered espresso beans)
Gum (can cause blockages and sugar free gums may contain the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
Hops (used in home beer brewing)
Onions and onion powder
Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
Tea (because it contains caffeine)
Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
Xylitol (artificial sweetener that is toxic to pets)
If you think your pet ingested any type of toxin, from food or some other agent, one of the best things to do, besides contacting your veterinarian, is to call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
We also recommend that you get the “Toxic Food Guide for Pets – What Not to Feed Dogs and Cats”. This is an excellent document you can download and print to keep on hand.
Taylor Ohman, Staff Veterinarian, Gulfport Veterinarian, An Animal Hospital in Gulfport, FL 33707, 1.727.384.4413